What is a show cause hearing on a deferred payment

Murray, KY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

It is on someone with 5 charges against her for a stolen check which was cashed at the bank it was issue. She was supposed to make monthly payments but I don't think she did.

She has to go into court and show a good reason (cause) why she did not pay or else face further punishment by the court.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Same answer. It is due process: notice of charges against you and opportunity to be heard. Instead of just saying, "you didn't make your payments, off to jail" it is a chance for her to explain why she did not or could not make payments. In Florida, if you can show you truly did not have the ability to pay, then you have a defense, but it does not mean she would win. I have not attended one of these hearings in KY, but I imagine it is very similar.

Most Kentucky judges I have appeared before are willing to give defendants additional time at a show cause hearing IF the defendant is making a reasonable effort to pay.

If you come in without having paid anything at all, you may need a toothbrush.