What is a safety plan from CPS

Wichita Falls, TX |

CPS had me sign a safety plan for my one year to stay with my mother and I have to be supervised while visiting! She asked to come in and take a drug test that same day but I couldn't get a ride! That night I got sick with strip throat and it lasted for a couple of days! After that weekend I went in to take one and then I went and signed up for the classes she suggested! What will happen if I didn't go in that same day I signed the plan and how soon do u think I will get my son back after doing everything she tells me to do from here on out?

1. A safety plan is an agreement with CPS with various people in the child's life, with provisions to keep the child safe. You should be getting a court appointed attorney if you don't already have one who can answer all of your questions. In general, the quicker you get everything on the list done, the quicker you can hope to gain custody back. There are deadlines that have to be met by federal law, and if you don't, the court has to rue on a permanent plan for your child.

This is a very serious matter, as you know, and it sounds like you plan on cooperating, which is really good. Your lawyer should be making sure that the list of things for you to complete is reasonable and actually related to your problems. Best of luck to you!

Note: I am not licensed in Texas, and this post contains general information only.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on Avvo.com. No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.

2. A safety plan is an agreement with CPS with various people in the child's life, with provisions to keep the child safe. You should be getting a court appointed attorney if you don't already have one who can answer all of your questions. In general, the quicker you get everything on the list done, the quicker you can hope to gain custody back. There are deadlines that have to be met by federal law, and if you don't, the court has to rue on a permanent plan for your child.

3. The best chance for your to regain custody is to follow the CPS plan.