What is a reasonable settlement offer for an auto accident?

I was in a serious auto accident involving an 18 wheeler. he hit me nearly head on. broke my arm and injured my ankle. have had two arm surgeries and have around 27,000 in medical and therapy bills. my car was totaled and I lost my job due to time out for recovery. i dont want to go into the settlement without a strong sense of what is reasonable to ask for.

Lake City, SC -

Steven A Schwartz

Steven A Schwartz

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Boston, MA

I don't believe any responsible lawyer can give you a fair assessment with the information given. A lot goes into determining value on a case, and all the facts are not here. An attorney would need to view your medical records in their entirety. Is liability being disputed, or has the other side accepted responsibility? Do you have any permanent injury from this? How long did you treat? Is any future treatment anticipated? You lost your job. What wages did you lose as a result of the accident? Have you found another job? When? Is it for the same money? These are all questions that must be answered before determining a fair settlement for your injuries. My best advice is to contact an experienced personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible. The insurance company will take advantage of you if you are not represented, and I am confident you will not maximize your recovery. The Insurance Research Council reports that on average you will receive 40% more if you are respresented. It makes sense to do so. Best of luck.

Steven A. Schwartz
Attorney/Partner

JOEL H. SCHWARTZ, P.C.
One Washington Mall, 16th floor
Boston, MA 02108
(617) 742-1170
(800) 660-2270
(617) 250-2072 fax
sas@joelhschwartz.com
www.joelhschwartz.com

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Without knowing all the facts and circumstances, I can't give you a number.

The good news is that tractor trailers are heavily insured.

You would want to retain a good truck accident lawyer. Don't try to do this yourself. Get a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you are left with some money after the lawyer takes his fee. Make sure the lawyer doesn't take costs from the settlement, or you would be left with even less money.

Good luck to you.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Bronx, NY

If you get an offer it will be commensurate with your ability as an attorney. If you had a cut you'd use a bandaid if you needede surgery I dare say you wouldn't use a bandaid. Same rationale applies.

Andrew Daniel Myers

Andrew Daniel Myers

Personal Injury Lawyer - North Andover, MA

A reasonable settlement range is difficult to arrive at without many more facts regarding the circumstances of how the injury impacted and will continue to affect your life.

Jimmy D. Speed

Jimmy D. Speed

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Durant, OK

On an 18 wheeler wreck, you really need to go an find a personal injury attorney in your area that specializes in auto accidents. You should not wait around researching on your own.