What is a prove for a hit and run? Is it a hit and run if I didn't notice ? could people claim fake witnesses ?

Norfolk, VA |

My car has a lot of scratches, it's an old car. In the parking lot where I live, somebody left a note in my winshield saying i had hit his car a week ago. I met with them and they showed me pictures of their car, and the scratches on mine. They say the paint matches my car. One of the scratches seems to match. I told them I hadn't hit his car, because i don't think i did. If i did i didn't notice. I told them i would pay if there was a proof it was me. They say they would take it to court. Is there a way to prove it was my car ? Would that be a hit and run if it happens to be my paint ? I Haven't crashed against anything I would have felt it. Could they claim fake witnesses ?

Sounds like a scam to me. If you didn't hit him, don't pay. They could take you to court, but the cost of filing suit would outweigh any recovery they would get.

This certainly sounds like you should consult a local attorney. Best of luck.

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com www.KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

A local attorney ought to be able to help you muddle through this mess. It feels like a con game.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Sounds fraudulent. They could be earning a living pulling this con with different people.

Even if the paint is your vehicle's it may be that this other person actually hit you and is trying to coerce you to pay them. It is more likely that the cost of litigating this matter will scare the person from pursuing further action. Sorry that you are dealing with this; best of luck.