What is a Pre-Trial Intervention (PTI) program?

Orange, NJ |

What is a Pre-Trial Intervention (PTI) program? Also, what is the legal term(if it applies) for when the prosecution agrees to drop charges If I agree to a payment plan? I don't have a record, just graduated school and am willing to pay everything back. Are my chances likey so that I can avoid having a record?

1. PTI is a diversionary program, that if successfully completed, allows you to get the charges dismissed. The PTI term can be from 1-3 years, and may require a guilty plea to get the prosecution to agree to you being entered into the program. Once completed, you can move to expunge your record 6 months after the dismissal of the charges. Restitution can be a required part of the conditions for being allowed to participate in the program. Entry is not automatic, requiring you to apply and be accepted by the prosecution before the Court can put you into the program. As to a record, the record was created when you were charged. It will only be expunged if you can meet the requirements of the expungement statute. For additional information on these issues, I recommend that you consult directly with an experienced criminal defense lawyer. Good luck.

Disclaimer
    While I do practice law in NJ, this information is offered for informational purposes only. It is not intended as legal advice and you should not rely upon it to decide how to resolve this issue. No Attorney-Client relationship is intended or established by this response. You are faced with a situation where you need to consult with an experienced defense lawyer admitted to practice law in NJ before you make any decisions as to how to resolve this issue.