What is a master divorce and how much does that normally cost?

Asked over 1 year ago - Greencastle, PA

seperated for 2 and a half years, I already filed for divorce in 2011 and he refused to sign final document.

1. Randi Joy Silverman

2

Answered . The costs involved in a Master's hearing include Master's fees, counsel fees and stenographer's fees.I would suggest that you meet with an attorney in your area to discuss this matter as he/she will be able to advise you as to what steps need to be taken to move your case to court. Perhaps settlement is still possible without incurring Master's fees.

2. Scott Francis Breidenbach

1

Answered . I am "interpretting" the question to be "what is A Master IN Divorce?" - A Divorce Master is an attorney who sits "in the position" of a judge. Pa. counties had an option to create a Master process using one of two methods. Some counties have one (or more) "permanent Masters in Divorce". In such a county, the Master doesn't cost additional money, because the "fees" are the Master's salary which is paid from county funds and essentially obtained by the county through filing fees etc. Other counties "appoint" a Master in repsonse to a Petition asking that a Master be so appointed. Such a Petition usually must be accompanied by a sum of money set by the local rules (probably in the $500-$750 range). In either case, the Master is an attorney who hears evidence and, on the basis thereof, makes a recommendation to the Court. The process goes forward from there. After 2 1/2 yrs. you should file an Affidavit of 2-yr. separation. If not challenged within 30 days, the matter will be listed before a Master. You definitely need a lawyer for this process to move forward.