What is a letter of bona fide marriage exemption?

Dallas, TX |

?

It is a letter written and filed along with an I-130 petition by a US citizen on behalf of an alien, based on a marriage that occured after the alien was placed into removal proceedings. If properly filed with supporting documentation, it can overcome the presumption that the alien contracted the marriage in question for the sole purpose of avoiding deportation.

2. A letter/affidavit stating that the marriage was bona fide when entered into and requesting an exemption from the joint filing requirement. The letter must be accompanied with the proper petition/application.

3. I agree with my colleagues.

Asheesh K. Sharma Attorney at Law Sharma Law Offices, LLC 47 Perimeter Center East, Suite 260 Atlanta, GA 30346 404-348-2829 This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship