What is a jail retainer?

Sussex, NJ |

My brother in law is in county jail. He is sentenced to be released on the county charges on September 27th, 2012. for violation of probation. He also has a 700 dollar bail out of Vernon, NJ, and a 250 dollar retainer out of Patterson, NJ. We were told he could not be actually released until these are paid. I am wondering what a retainer is for? Why would another town put on a retainer? And can he be released without paying these?

I think you mean detainer. That is when another jurisdiction puts a hold on a person to not be released from custody until a pending outstanding issue is resolved. Contact the Patterson and Vernon and see what the detainers are for. I am sure it is for open criminal cases and the money is for a bond. Consult with a lawyer.

John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

Another community would put a detainer on a prisoner if they have an open warrant with a cash amount. This may be for unpaid fines or it could be that there are charges there. You need to call those courts and ask.

Can he be released without payment, at some point, yes. But you'll need to get an order from those courts that have issued the warrants.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:

When someone is in jail and the jail learns of a warrant then it is used to hold the person, he or she is detained until the bail is posted to secure the person's presence in court. If he posts the bails, then when he is released he will have to go to Vernon and Paterson and answer the charges.