Skip to main content

What is a good amount to settle for?

Fresno, CA |

I was hit from behind and the driver was cited for speeding. I recieved a wrist injury and also to my lower back. the driver has aaa insurance.the car that hit me was an 08 model honda and i was driving a 79 chevy. my car a classic. the insurance company is not taking the damage to my car serious to me. i believe they are not covering every possible thing that could be wrong. I dont really want to draw out the business with the insurance for a long time. I have missed days from work due to my injuries. I plan on doing my sessions at the chiropractor unitl im better. I believe a month is decent enough, I do not want the insurance company to take advantage of me. I'm also a full time student, single father, and disabled veteran with some previous injuries from service.inj now nt included

Attorney Answers 6


If you do not want the insurance company to take advantage of you, as you have stated, then your first step today is to retain an experienced personal injury attorney for a number of reasons, including these:

(1) The insurance industry's own statistics confirm that once an attorney is brought in to a claim, the value goes up.

(2) Your own attorney has a duty to fully inform you of all potential elements of recovery which the insurance company claims adjuster will not take time to tell you about.

(3) Settlements are forever. This means that if you decide to accept a settlement, this is the final disposition of the case forever. Should you later need additional treatment or discover an outstanding charge you did not know about, it is too late to go back.

To answer your headline question of a good amount to settle for, please refer to the second link at the bottom of this answer.

My office handles personal injury and accident cases in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. And despite the procedural and legal differences between our states, the insurance standards and case valuation aspects of this topic are relatively universal across the U.S.

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers

North Andover, MA — Derry, NH



Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


Mr. Myers gives you excellent advice. If you are not represented, an insurance company will take advantage of you every time. They don't make money by being generous. Go see a couple personal injury lawyers. If one tells you what your case is worth, don't hire him. Nobody can make more than a wild guess what any case is worth without specific information. Even then, responsible lawyers don't tell clients what their cases are worth except in very general terms until there is an offer on the table. Evaluations of apparently similar cases can differ by a large amount. Last week I settled a case for $750,000 that I would have settled for much less three months before. Some new information came up that increased the value. Six years ago I settled a case with a similar injury for $150,000. It's not that I am stupid or careless or sold the first client short. Every case has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

11 lawyers agree


You have not provided near enough information to value a case. It all depends on injuries, medical bills, subrogation and liability coverage. You should not consider a settlement until you finish all treatment. Talk to a local injury attorney.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


Never try to settle an accident case without a lawyer or you will either get #1. no money or #2. a tiny nuisance settlement. Search Avvo for a personal injury lawyer in your city or state and get representation ASAP. Good luck.

Free Consultation. 1-877-258-3083. Serving the Nation. Only 29% Fee Deducted.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


It is always best to consult with a personal injury attorney before attempting to value your case or speak with the insurance adjuster. These consultations are always free of charge. A good attorney will be able to value your case and all of the monetary damages you are entitled to now and in the future. The insurance company will take advantage of you if you are not represented by an attorney. Please contact me by phone or email to discuss further before you make mistakes in discussions with the adjuster regarding both property damage and personal injury.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


With your pre-existing disability and other issues, this is not the type of case you should attempt to handle on your own.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

6 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics