WHAT IS A FR SUSPENSION ON YOUR LICENSE MEAN I WAS INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT IN 1997

Asked over 3 years ago - Davie, FL

I DID JAIL TIME THEN PROBATION AND PAID THE $650.00 RESTITUTION THAT I WAS ORDERED TO PAY IF I HAD'NT MET ALL REQUIREMENTS THEY WOULD'NT HAVE LET ME OFF PROBATION I GOT MY LICENSE BACK IN 2000 WHEN I WENT TO RENEW THEY SAID I HAD A FR SUSPENSION THE ACCIDENT WAS 14 YEARS AGO IS'NT THERE A 7 YEAR STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS I WAS NEVER SUED CIVILLY SO I DON;T UNDER STAND LIKE I SAID I WAS COURT ORDERD $650. IN RESTITUTION IN CRIMINAL COURT

1. Robert Edward Heyman

Answered . The 'FR' suspension does refer to an administrative suspension of your drivers license. This suspension may stem from the 1997 accident. While you may have satisfied the restitution ordered by the court in the criminal case, there may still be outstanding restitution owed to the driver of the other vehicle. If that is the case, you will need to contact the DMV, obtain the specific amount owed, and pay the balance directly to the vehicle owner. You should present them with a DMV release form to sign upon payment. You will need to present this signed form to the DMV in order to obtain a new license.

There may be a second reason for the "FR" suspension. Depending on your driving record, you may be obligated to maintain insurance on your vehicle. If you had let this coverage lapse, the insurer notfied the DMV in Tallahasee and your license may have thereafter been suspended.

You should be able to obtain the necessary information at your local DMV office. You can also contact a local attorney if court action is required.

Good Luck

Robert E. Heyman, Esq

2. George Nicholas Wukovich

Answered . Motor Vehicle rules and regulations are uniquely governed by state case law and statutes--in your case,FL. In general, the abbreviation "FR" means Financial Responsibility. Therefore, it appears that your Motor Vehicle license was suspended for an apparent violation of the FL Financial Responsibility obligations set forth under the applicable FL Motor Vehicle Laws and Rules.

Furthermore, since this matter appears to have been in litigation, you will also be required to comply with various procedural rules and regulations that control and govern the Motor Vehicle licensing process. Accordingly, you should immediately contact an FL attorney to review this matter, under the applicable FL Motor Vehicle Laws and Rules.

By the way, many attorneys will not charge you a fee for an initial consultation. Most attorneys, however, will charge you a fee for legally representing you in a Motor Vehicle licensing case based upon either a flat fee or an hourly rate for professional legal services that are rendered.

In most states, the client is also required to pay for the expenses incurred in a legal matter, separate and apart from the client's obligation to pay for any attorney fees. You should confirm whether or not this will be the case, and the nature of the professional fees to be charged by your FL Motor Vehicle licensing attorney, during your initial consultation.