What is a field grade article 15-6 investigation and what are possible consequences under military law?

Sierra Vista, AZ |
Filed under: Military law

Recently I have been put under a 15-6 investigation for having inappropriate contact with an IET soldier. My first sergeant is telling me I am going to have to do some jail time and that I will get a field grade article 15 over this, but I have not received any counseling for this and they gave me a no-contact order after the investigation started.

What is going to happen to me and what can they do to me? This is the first time I have ever been in trouble.

Run, don't walk to the closest Army Trial Defense Services (TDS) office and talk to an Army Defense Counsel.

Do NOT agree to talk to anyone, such as your First Sergeant or the AR 15-6 Investigating Officer (IO) about any of this without having a Defense Counsel to assist you. You could also be court-martialed, depending on what the IO recommends!

Don't presume that they - chain of command - are your friends; they are not under these circumstances!

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous answer, but have some additional things to add.

First, look for people spying on your e-mail. Under military law you have no privacy interest in your e-mail, and a crafty 15-6 IO can sometimes get a lot of mileage from e-mails.

Secondly, if anyone in your chain of command orders you to have no contact with someone else, abide by that order. I have had people in your position receive these commander-directed no-contact orders and they ultimately get cleared of the allegation of having an inappropriate relationship, but they break the order and get an Article 15 anyway.

How can you tell if someone is spying on your e-mail and is there a leagal course of action if they are with out me knowing?

Article 15 is non-judicial, meaning there is no jail time. You only have a possibility of going to jail if you are subject to a special or general court martial. Also, since an Article 15 is administrative in nature, the discharge is administrative as well; i.e., other than honorable, general under honorable conditions, or honorable.

Military law topics

Recommended articles about Military law