What is a fair contingency fee for a personal injury case in Las Vegas?

Asked about 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I paid the filing fees, have done all the discovery etc. yet I am getting 40 -50%?? What happened to 33% just simple greed?

1. George G. Trachtman

Answered . It depends on the difficulty of the case. Attorneys who charge 25-30% usually do not take difficult cases and generally charge more for litigation. The more difficult the issue, the more work, the more litigation, the more the contingency fee. A simple rear-end accident with an insurance that tends to be fair requires a lot less work than a case were liability is questionable (such as side-to-side impact) with an insurance that is know not to pay claims or where there are numbers vehicles involved and people involved all pointing the finger at someone else.

2. Jonathan Craig Reed

Pro

Answered . Never be shy about talking to a lawyer about money before you hire the lawyer. My firm of Reed & Mansfield charges 25% for all cases in which a police report puts all blame on the other side and one third in other cases. There are no rules as to what percent contingency fee is allowed.

Reed & Mansfield is able to offer a 25% fee where there is favorable police report because we don't spend your fee money on tv ads and billboard and yellow page ads.

3. Leonard H. Stone

Pro

Answered . Most Contingency Fee Agreements for cases involving personal injuries range from 33 to 40%, depending upon both the difficulty of the case and its projected value. It is typical for the percentage to increase if and when the matter proceeds into litigation. Attorneys will assume the risk of any associated costs (including filing fees) regardless of the outcome of the claim. However, should the matter proceed to litigation, the attorney should advise the client regarding events that could result in the client's personal exposure for the opponent's attorneys' fees and costs. Clients should inquire about this risk once a Complaint has been filed.

4. Alison Swicker Gokal

1

Answered . It depends on the difficulty of the case. Contingency fees are negotiable, but keep in mind the attorney bears the risk. I have charged 25% on some cases and up to 40% on others. The distinction is the risk of the case as well as the amout of work it would take.

Keep in mind, the retainer is a contract that both sides need to agree upon.

Pro

1

Answered . Most contingency fees are very high, typically 40-45%, which my firm finds morally reprehensible, which is why our firm only deducts a 29% fee, and doesn't deduct a penny in costs.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com