What is a fair budget for a divorce in Norfolk County

Needham, MA |

No real child support issues, the college fund is fully funded and we have two houses? He makes good money, I work part time?

A fair budget is anywhere from $1000 for a joint petition that is walked into court and offered to the judge- that is where everything is agreed in advance to a slightly contested matter of only one or two items of disagreement $1500-$3500 to contested and trial which could be anwhere in the high five figure range to six figures if experts and the marital estate warrant such a fight. Good luck and take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

2. From what you've provided so far, if you can key the separation as amicable and civil as possible, the process could be completed for relatively short money. It depends how you both approach all of the issues, I.e. child support, division of assets, alimony (if applicable). If you both can agree on these amounts, after full financial disclosure, I would estimate between $3,000.00 to $6,000.00. Best of luck to you. Thee amounts are contingent on the parties' behavior during the process.

Legal disclaimer: DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged and/or wherein the legal issue arises; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State in which your particular issue has arisen.

3. I agree with attorney Kinder, but would clarify: $3K to $6K if you settle before trial preparations begin. If you settle on the morning of trial or go forward to trial, you can count on at least double that amount.

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.

4. No such thing.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

5. Building off of Attorney Kinder's response, it depends how you approach a divorce. If the parties are able to communicate and agree on most issues each parties' attorney would need to spend between 10 - 15 hours drafting and reviewing a separation agreement as well as preparing the necessary documents for a 1A divorce. If the matter is contentious and the parties are taking an adversarial approach, then it is difficult to estimate.

A GOOD RULE OF THUMB: the less the parties can agree then the more legal time will be required, more legal time will result in higher attorney's fees.