What is a deposition in a worker comp case?

Greenville, SC |

Is this the final step to the case being settle?

1. Depositions provide both side to establish there strengths or weaknesses that they might have in a case and give them an opportunity to explore what else they might need to know or ask at trial.

Its not the final step but it means that the case will settle or go at trial SOON.

2. A deposition of the injured worker in a workers' compensation claim is a chance for defense counsel to ask the injured worker questions reasonably calculated to the discovery of admissible evidence. For instance, you will likely be asked questions regarding your injury, prior injuries and how your injury impacts your life. In California, the deposition is not the final step of discovery before settlement; however, there are times where I am able to enter into a settlement with my opposition at the time of the deposition. It is highly advisable to have counsel at your deposition to prepare you for the same. Good luck.

The answer provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship and is only meant as general advice based on the limited facts presented; it is not intended as tax advice. My general advice is based on California law and not of any other state in the United States or outside thereof. Contact an attorney immediately to ascertain all rights' you may be entitled to for optimal results and because most lawsuits have time limitations within which they must be filed, so as not to be dismissed on failure to comport with the statute of limitations.

3. A Deposition is essentially a legal interview, where both sides take turns asking you questions about a legal matter. It is conducted outside of the Court, but your testimony is given under legal oath subject to penalty of Perjury. I try to settle cases at a Deposition, because it is generally the first time that all parties are in the same room.

We give free general concepts to be helpful, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.

4. Here is everything you need to know about what is a South Carolina Workers' Compensation Deposition: http://www.ryanmontgomerylaw.com/blog/2012/10/what-is-a-south-carolina-workers-compensation-deposition.shtml