What is a certificate of non appearance?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

Two of my witnesses has certificate of non appearance. What does this mean?

1. Donald A. Niesen

8

Answered . The witness did not show up as scheduled; they did not "appear" at the time and place which was arranged. The certificate is normally prepared by the court reporter, and then may be filed with the court by the lawyer who arranged for the deposition and who, presumably, is disappointed by not getting to question the witness.

2. Paul S Vicary

5

Answered . The other attorney is correct. You need to be careful as your witnesses may be prevented from testifying as a sanction for failing to appear at whatever proceeding at which they were to appear. You should consult with a local attorney to assist you.

3. Kerrie Kathleen Matre

Pro

3

1

Answered . I do not practice in the state of Florida, but I believe it means that a witness did not attend at his/her deposition and the court reporter entered this certification into the court docket---

4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Nielson.