What is a case within a case?

Asked about 1 year ago - Three Rivers, MI

In the process of divorce, my vehicle was repossessed. I feel it was my attorneys duty to inform me of the options I had to keep this from happening. He did not. The agreement was made in mediation through my attorney. I was aware immediately of discrepencies in the final paperwork which I brought to my attorneys attention and he did nothing to "fix" it. Stating I should sign the mediation agreement and we would deal with the issues I had at a later time. (As I was living without any source of income other than my own earnings) This never happened and as a result, my vehicle was repossessed, lost my job and a hit to my credit at a time when my credit is extremely important to me. My ex and Iwere together for 24 years. Married for 16. 2 teenage daughters.

1. Jeffrey Scott Kaplan

3

Answered . I'm not sure what the question has to do with the fact pattern you present. Addressing the facts, if you think your attorney made a mistake or you don't think s/he is representing you adequately, you need to find another attorney and discuss the mistakes so the new attorney can address them before the judge issues a final judgment of divorce.

2. Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Pro

3

1

Answered . It does sound like you question is I lolling legal malpractice. You should contact a local lawyer practicing in this area. Whether you can successfully bring a claim probably will be determined by what the discrepancies are in the paperwork and whether not doing anything about them was below the standard. If they were minor it might be a judgment call, but with the damages you have described it doesn't sound minor.

3. Philip Anthony Fabiano

1

Best Answer

Answered . Your question is not clear but here is what I think is happening: You feel that your lawyer made some errors that cost you some harm/money. You discussed this with another lawyer or you did some research on your own and you learned that to pursue a legal malpractice case you need to "prove a case within a case." Here's what that means. YOur file a legal malpractice case against a lawyer claiming he/she made an error that cost you something in that underlying case. In order to win the malpractice case you need to show 1. the attorney made an error and 2. if the lawyer had not made that mistake you would have won that underlying case. You have to in a sense prove BOTH cases--prove your case against the lawyer and prove he/she would have won that other case if everything was done right.
    Again, not sure what you're asking but this is my best guess.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . I presume your question is based on the notion that you want to sue your former attorney for this problem, but I cannot be sure.

Can you clarify?