What is a case review in divorce proceedings?

Asked about 3 years ago - Anaheim, CA

My ex filed for divorce in March 2010 and I did not attend the hearing. The divorce is still pending. She had submitted financial information, regarding credit we had owed and who should be responsible for what, but she then changed that information--making me responsible for debts she initially claimed were hers.The divorce is still not finalized. Now a review is set for 2013--
Why would a hearing be held for review over a year from now without the petioner and Respondent needing not be present? Also, What is the difference between a request to enter a default for divorce and/or a request for default setting?

1. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

Answered . A review hearing is synonymous with a status conference. The court wants an update on what is happening with the case and if it is going forward. A default hearing is where they hear the default while the request is simply request to default the other party.

2. Joshua Tobias Hershon

Answered . First, you or your representative should be present at all hearings. Second an example of default is where you serve divorce papers on someone and they don't bother to file a response with the court. Sometimes, you can even have a person's pleadings stricken by the court and then proceed with default.