What is a calendar call?

Asked over 2 years ago - Starke, FL

my fiancee has court for VOP but that morning he has a calendar call before his court time

1. Jeffrey David Boston

Pro

3

Answered . A "calendar call" in Florida is when the presiding judge asks the prosecution and the defense if they are ready for trial.

One or both sides say "yes." If both say yes, the matter is set for trial. If not, the case is continued, either by the prosecution ("the state") or the defense (private attorney, public defender, or defendant representing himself - which is never a good idea).

Calendar call always comes weeks or months after arraignment, and typically after a "docket sounding" (or "pretrial conference," depending on how the jurisdiction wishes to name it).

2. John M. Kaman

Pro

3

Answered . Courts often call all cases scheduled for that day just to see who is there and who is not. This is called calendar call. Thereafter the Court will take up the cases in the order it deems important. I am sure this is what you are referring to.