What is a bifurcation order?

Asked 9 months ago - Ventura, CA

I live in the state of CA, and have filed for a dissolution. Respondent did not file a response, so I've requested a default divorce and we both have filed and served each other with the disclosures and created a marital settlement together. However, last month, my paperwork was sent back to me with the court stating that any stand-alone default divorce must be accompanied by a "signed order for bifurcation." What does this mean?

1. Gregory Paul Benton

Answered . I have no idea what this means. You would do well to go the clerks office and have them explain this.

2. Laurie Peters

Answered . An order for bifurcation is to have the issues heard separately. The clerk are sticklers in Ventura probably are assuming you are submitting your judgment for status only. I've attached the courts from regarding reasons for rejected Judgments. The settlement agreement signed by your spouse must be notarized and attached in the Judgment. You also need to file a stipulation to waive final disclosures if you only filed preliminary ones, and a declaration for default or uncontested dissolution.

http://ventura.courts.ca.gov/form_packets/Top_R...