What is a bench warrant statute of limitation in Illinois?

Waukegan, IL |

I bail jumped and the bench warrant was issued. Essential charge is class 2 felony, county jurisdiction.

1. While I don't practice in Illinois, the concept is the same in every state. Bench warrants aren't subject to a statute of limitations. They remain active until they are recalled and/or quashed, which usually means that you have posted bail, if there is a bail amount, or you have appeared in court.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

2. While I don't practice in Illinois, the concept is the same in every state. Bench warrants aren't subject to a statute of limitations. They remain active until they are recalled and/or quashed, which usually means that you have posted bail, if there is a bail amount, or you have appeared in court.

3. There is no statute of limitations on a bench warrant. When I was an Illinois prosecutor, we had people brought in who were charged over 20+ years ago. The statute of limitations apply to the crimes only. The underlying criminal case is still open.

My answers are for informational purposes only. They are not legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more information, call me at (303) 578-0595 or see my websites, jamesmilitarydefense.com or jamesdefense.com

4. There is no statute of limitations pertaining to a bench warrant. A Class 2 felony is serious. You should consult with an attorney at once regarding this matter.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this answer is not legal advice, does not establish an attorney-client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Individuals with questions or problems in any area of the law should consult a qualified attorney licensed to practice in the individual's jurisdiction.