What is a 15 minute Status Hearing in NM regarding an adoption.?

87102 |

IsubmittedapetitionforadoptioninSept,6monthslater...wehavebeennotifiedtoattendwhatiscalledaStatusHearing,itsonly15minuteslong.Whatdoesthatmean?Somehistory-I'mthebioofmydaughterandmyhusbandistryingtoadopther.HerBChasthebiofatheronit.Overtwoyearsago,thebiofathersignedanaffidavitthatstateshedoesnotwanttoemotionallyorfinanciallysupporthisdaughterandchoosesnottohavecontactwithherormyselffromthatpointgoingforward.Itevenstatesheisnotcapableofdoingso.Wehaven’theardfromhimsinceandthatwasover2yearsago.Beforethathecouldonlyseehersupervisedbecausehehurtherwhenshewas3monthsold.Hehassincemovedoutofstateandhas2morekids,oneofwhichhehashurt.Whatwillhappe

I submitted a petition for adoption in Sept, 6 months later... we have been notified to attend what is called a Status Hearing, its only 15 minutes long. What does that mean? Some history- I'm the bio of my daughter and my husband is trying to adopt her. Her BC has the bio father on it. Over two years ago, the bio father signed an affidavit that states he does not want to emotionally or financially support his daughter and chooses not to have contact with her or myself from that point going forward. It even states he is not capable of doing so. We haven’t heard from him since and that was over 2 years ago. Before that he could only see her supervised because he hurt her when she was 3 months old. He has since moved out of state and has 2 more kids, one of which he has hurt. What will happen?

Generally speaking a status hearing is aptly named; it is a (short) visit with the court to check the status of the case, or how the adoption process is moving along.

This answer is general information which does not establish any attorney-client relationship between the person asking a question and the person answering, or a duty to respond to ongoing questions; nor is it intended to replace competent legal assistance in the jurisdiction where the matter/issue arises or is before a Court.

Just to check when this can be resolved in the future

Asking questions on Avvo can be a helpful introduction to your legal issues. You should not rely solely on Internet answers. At a minimum, ask for a free consultation from a local lawyer who handles your type of case.