What is a "reasonable" settlement amount for violation of Title VII and Americans with Disability Act . I have filed Pro SE.

Knob Noster, MO |

My federal suit claims I was not hired based on my race as well as for my absences from work directly related to my approved medical leave to cover surgery and recovery for carpal tunnel. My employer was aware of my carpal tunnel as this was the second surgery I had in the last three years. The defendant's attorney has contacted me regarding a settlement of the case. I've determined I've lost $3,500 in lost wages from the promotion. What, if any, other monetary penalties should I request or am I entitled to ask for?

1. You should make use of the local law library in your area to look at settlements of cases similar to yours. Most pro se parties either way over estimate the value of their cases or way underestimate them. If you are alleging loss of wages and discrimination you should have hired an attorney to handle the case for you because the other side will be responsible for your attorney fees, and attorneys like handling wage cases for that reason.
    Do some research at the local law library. Wage claims included penalty wages and attorney fees. Pro se plaintiff's don't recover attorney fees.
    Best of luck.

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

2. Don't try to settle a federal discrimination action without an attorney. You cannot possibly bring to bear all of the appropriate considerations. Would you take out your own appendix, too? Why?

NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by me as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my law firm. My law firm does not provide free consultations. See http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/free-consultation-the-purposes-and-utility-of-free-for-potential-clients-and-for-attorneys for further details on that issue. Please do not call or email me with a “few questions.” I give advice, make recommendations, and answer specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with my client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND I give legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by my client and by me or a member of my firm, for which payment has been made. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; professional (State or federal licensing agency) discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic disputes involving universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We accept grievances, administrative claims, arbitrations, mediations, negotiations, and other non-litigation matters pertaining to employment, hospital and facility privileges, tenure, and contractual disputes. We conduct seminars and training in employment law for employers and union advocates, and in issues of professional/occupational licensing law for criminal defense attorneys. We accept NO contingency work, and we take no matters for which CCP discovery is applicable.

3. There is no magic number anyone can tell you. Depends on the facts. If you don't settle and go forward pro se in federal court you will most likely lose, because you will be up against an experienced attorney.

My comments are general in nature, are not legal advice as to your specific issue, and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Disregard this solicitation if you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with the legal matter referred to in this solicitation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this solicitation is general and that your own situation may vary. This statement is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri.