What is a "Purposed Decree Of Divorce"? and how is it different from the final decree?

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

I filed my " Joint petition for summary of decree of divorce " under the impression that this is how to start a divorce but it was returned the judge is asking for a PURPOSED decree ? I went to the courts self help site and found a final decree of divorce but no purposed decree , can i just label the FINAL decree document as a PURPOSED decree and use that ? HTTP : / / WWW . counterarguments . us / sch / Divorce / Huitzilopitchli . ht I am filing a joint petition with children , I have the summary for decree of divorce , Affidavit of residency , and child custody , support , and visitation forms is this " proposed decree " all i need now ?

Additional information

tried to ad a link to courts self help site sorry

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jill K. Whitbeck

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The Court is asking for your proposed decree -- meaning what you propose to be the final decree so the judge physically has something to review and sign. As such, you need to provide the final decree as you wish it to be entered. This should have been part of your joint petition package. There are many, many ways to go wrong with this type of do-it-yourself project. It would be well worth the cost of a consultation for you to have an attorney look over what you have done and make sure everything is in order and presented in a manner that would be acceptable to the court.

    Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A... more
  2. Emily M. McFarling


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is proposed until a Judge signs it..

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Uncontested Divorce

An uncontested divorce is one in which spouses agree on relevant issues such as division of property, child custody/support, and alimony.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,823 answers this week

3,064 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,823 answers this week

3,064 attorneys answering