What is a "letter for the file" in a divorce case?

College Station, TX |

i'm the respondent in a pro se divorce proceeding. the "letter for the file" is the fourth document to be listed after:
1. $file
2. Petition
3. Answer

Go to the clerk's office. Read the file. See what the letter is.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.

I agree with the other attorney. You need to review the document to know what it is. Go to the clerks office and review the file, they will usually make a copy of the document for you for a small fee.

Legal disclaimer: The response above does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the authors educated opinion.

I agree with the other lawyers comments here. Also, it would be helpful to know who told you that you needed a letter for the file. Was it the clerk? or are you trying to follow written directions of someone? If your spouse has a lawyer, I am sure he/she might even be of assistance. I would need more information to answer your question.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.

Recommended articles about Family law