What is a "conveyance of freehold property"? Does it mean that a property is sold or just rented?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Worcester, MA

I got this document from probate in London because the solicitors who handled my Aunt's estate just kept telling me it was sold. What I got does not actually say it was sold. It has "Conveyance" on the front of the document. There is too much legal jargon for me to figure out what it means. Can you help me?

1. E. Alexandra Golden

5

Answered . A conveyance is a way of saying that title to the property was transferred from one person to another. Generally that will be by a sale, although it could also be given away. Without seeing the document or being an expert on English property law, I suspect that the solicitor's description of what happened is correct. However, if you're not sure, you could always contact another English solicitor and ask him to review the deed.

2. Herbert Warren Cooper IV

Pro

4

Answered . Generally, "conveyance" in common law, English-speaking countries refers to transferring title to real estate. "Freehold" suggests that it is not a "life estate" nor subject to "ground rent" or other, superior claims to title. Basically, that the seller owned it outright (subject, perhaps, to a mortgage which would be paid off at closing, e.g.)

That said, without reviewing actual documents, no one can actually tell you what they are and what they mean. If you really don't believe what the solicitors are telling you, and it is really important to you, you could take it to an attorney to review. They'll either be able to tell you, or tell you that you have to speak to an English attorney (solicitor).

Good luck!

3. Kati M. Amarantes

2

Answered . I would need to see the document to see what exactly it means. Your question is too general to give you a general answer. If you would like to discuss this further and provide more detail, please feel free to contact me for a free consultation.

Regards,

Kati Amarantes
    kati@kmalawgroup.com