What Is 2nd Degree Theft By Deception?

Dothan, AL |

My Husband Is Being Charged With 2nd Degree Theft By Deception For Something He Had No Knowledge That He Was Even "Stealing"...He Applied For A Jc Penney Credit Card Using His Signature, His Identification, And As Far As He Was Concernerd His SSN. Apparently He Made A Slight Mistake And Hit A Wrong Number All That Comes On The Screen Is Little **** So How Was He To Know Of This Mistake Especially When The Employee Did Not Inform That Obviously A Name Besides The One On The ID He Provided Was Not His Instead The Employee Handed Him A Piece Of Paper And Said Heres Your New Jc Penney Card Now A Month Later He's In Jail For 2nd Degree Theft By Deception? How? And What Does This Means For Him?

You need to get your husband a lawyer, if you can.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

'Theft by Deception' is a type of theft crime where property or something of value is taken by deceit, fraud, misrepresentation, or other act of deception. Under the Code of Alabama, 1975, section 13A-8-1, the following terms apply: "The following definitions are applicable in this article unless the context otherwise requires: (1) DECEPTION occurs when a person knowingly:
a. Creates or confirms another's impression which is false and which the defendant does not believe to be true; or
b. Fails to correct a false impression which the defendant previously has created or confirmed; or
c. Fails to correct a false impression when the defendant is under a duty to do so; or..."

If the type of taking of property falls into one of the above-listed definitions, that is "Theft by Deception."

Your husband is facing a felony charge and could be sentenced to serious jail time for this. Y'all need to get him an attorney.

Disclaimer: No attorney client privilege is established by receiving an answer to your question on Avvo. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to visit my Avvo profile or website -- -- to set up an appointment to talk more about your issue. As required by Rule 7.2(e), Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct, no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.