What is the best way (forms and procedures) to go to get my husband back to America? Deported in 1996 and came back.

Asked over 1 year ago - Grandview, MO

He worked with a lawyer that said he could get a TPS. So he started the process with the lawyer. Told immigration where he worked, gave them his address, and went down to give his fingerprints. About a year later immigration picked him up at his job. My husband had no chance of getting a TPS, but did what the lawyer told him to do. Thank You for your time.

Additional information

He is from Honduras.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Your husband may be under the "permanent bar" if he returned to the U.S. unlawfully after being deported. Of course, the dates when these event occurred matter a lot. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Practically none unless they change the law.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Meet with an attorney. Take all of your husband's immigration related paperwork to the meeting.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  4. Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It truly saddens me to hear stories like this. Your husband left over ten years ago. If he is still in Honduras you might be able to petition him. If he re-entered the US illegally after being deported, this changes things.

    I suggest that you contact an attorney to discuss your options.

  5. Cindy Medina

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . File a grievance against the attorney. Far to many immigrants get taken advantage of because attorneys know immigrants dontvwant to cause ripples that turn unto waves.

    MEDINA LAW GROUP PC: EXPERIENCED TEXAS IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS. email: cindy@medinalg.com; Phone: (210) 821-4500;... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Deportation process

The deportation process can be long and frustrating, but there are some important things to remember as you navigate the immigration courts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,320 answers this week

2,591 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,320 answers this week

2,591 attorneys answering