What is punishment of driving without a license and getting pulled over for the second time

Asked over 5 years ago - Winchester, VA

i have got pulled over for the second time and when the cop pulled me over he made up a excuse when he walked up to my car he seen that i had something hanging in my rear view mirror....and as i dont have a license this is the 2nd time i have got pulled over and i dont know what will happen

the cops here i am having the feeling they are racist .....the only thing i did was go to work and help my family but i guess i cant even do that without always getin pulled over /....the cops didnt have a reason to pull me over as soon as they pulled me over they made up an excuse i hate the stupid cops

1. Kyle G. Manikas

Answered . Generally, you are likely looking at active jail time for a second offense for driving without a license. As far as the dangling object goes, this is a quite common basis for a stop in Virginia. There is a actually a code section in title 46.2 of the Virginia Code which prohibits having objects hanging from your miror.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . The government has a legitimate reason for requiring that drivers have a current and valid license to drive. You cannot drive without a license and every time you do you subject yourself to being legally stopped.

Consider making other arrangements to get to your place of work or more problems await you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your locale with whom you enjoy an attorney-client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

3. Michael E Hendrickson

Answered . Second offense No Valid Operator's License is Class 1 misdemeanor offense carrying a possible fine of up to $2500 and jail up to 12 months, either or both. (See Va. Code Sec. 46.2-300)

M.E. Hendrickson
    Attorney & Counsellor at Law
    211 North Union Street Suite 100
    Alexandria, Virginia 22314