Skip to main content

What is my next step after i approve on I-30?

Lancaster, CA |

my mother is in Philippines and im a u.s. citizen i wanna help her migrate to u.s..i already apply for I-30. what is my next step after that.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I would consult with an immigration attorney to determine whether or not your mother is eligible to apply for an immigrant visa (if she is outside the U.S.). The attorney will advise you as to the process of applying for the visa, check your income to see if you qualify to sponsor your mother (or will need a co-sponsor), give you estimated processing times, and help you gather the supporting documentation needed to file this application. Good luck!


Once the I-130 is approved you may start the immigrant visa process. You will receive information on how to oroceed.



My colleagues are correct. The next process will be stated by the visa processing center and the local US consulate in the Philippines. You and your mother need to make sure you have current addresses filed with USCIs so when the packages arrive for you to prepare affidavit of support and your mother receives the request notices they will get to you both. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


If your I-130 is approved and you properly completed that application to show your mother was abroad and you wanted the consulate notified, then you should have heard from NVC with a request for money and forms for the State Department stage. If you completed the I-130 incorrectly it may never have reached NVC and you will need an I-824 to get it back on track.

I concur legal represetnation on these case is best -- there is much more to the process than just completing a form. You wouldn't try to operate on yourself without a competent docto;r why try to handle one of the most complex areas of law without the benefit of a competent immigration lawyer?

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer