What IRS form do you have to send after selling a house in Martawan NJ and when do you have to file it.

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

Does the closing lawyer file this form for the seller?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Louis Black


    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . If you have a gain on the sale of your home or if you receive a Form 1099-S in connection with the sale, you will generally need to report the gain on Schedule D of your personal income tax return and file Form 8949. If part of the home is used for business, such as a home office or for rental, you may have to use Form 4797 as well.

    Louis E. Black is licensed to practice law solely in New York. His answers are for general information and no... more
  2. Evan A Nielsen

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Sale of property would be filed by the closing attorney. However, even if you don't receive a copy, you'll want to make sure you report the transaction on your taxes.

    Good luck.

    Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,578 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,578 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering