What impact does permanent guardianship have on the parents rights?

Asked about 1 year ago - Fort Myers, FL

Due to addiction, my kids were placed with family. They have temporary guardianship and have requested permanent guardianship as they feel this will avail them to more benefits and make things easier. I have attended rehab and am working to get back on my feet, get my own place and be able to provide them with a safe and secure home. However, I'm just not there yet. My question is: Are there any rights that I'd be giving away by giving them permanent guardianship? What changes for the parents from temp to perm guardianship?

Would my giving them permanent guarrdianship make it easier for them should they attempt to adopt the kids?
Could that attempt be successful even if I can p-rovide the court with proof that I visit often, am making progress, remaining clean, working my program, etc.?

1. William Charles Rosenfelt

6

1

Answered . Congratulations on the progress that you have made thus far. I agree with Ophelia's thoughts on the matter. However, I'm not sure if I see the wisdom in consenting to your parents becoming permanent guardianship. I'm guessing that they are dangling the permanent guardianship over your head like a carrot such that if you agree to consent to it then they will continue to help you, etc. but that if you don't, then will be effectively "shunned." I hope that is not the case. I would definitely run it by and attorney, if possible (and more so than on this website!). Good luck.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

5

1

Answered . Pursuant to Fla. Statute 39.6221(6):

Placement of a child in a permanent guardianship does not terminate the parent-child relationship, including:
    (a) The right of the child to inherit from his or her parents;
    (b) The parents’ right to consent to the child’s adoption; and
    (c) The parents’ responsibility to provide financial, medical, and other support for the child as ordered by the court.

Much will depend on the court order. I recommend you consult with a local attorney to discuss further and be represented through any court proceedings.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

2

Answered . You need to get an attorney on your side.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239