What impact does ca civil code 1542 in a release and seperation agreement have on severance payments after signing the release?

California |

I have a severance agreement with the company that just laid me off. the severance payments are due for 9 months after the seperation of services. the company has bolded and all caps language referencing ca civil code 1542 in the release and seperation agreement. I would like to know what if any impact ca 1542 has on the severance payments I expect to recieve after signing the release.

A California Civil Code 1542 waiver is a standard ptovision lawyers put in settlement agreements to end the dispute forever. It means you're waiving claims you don't know about, even if you find out about them after you sign. The waiver doesn't affect what the company has agreed in the agreement to give you, such as these payments for 9 more months. It's risky to sign something you don't fully understand, so perhaps best to have this document reviewed by a lawyer before you sign it.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.