What immigration forms to use when filing for my sponsorship?

Las Vegas, NV |
Filed under: Immigration

My partner and i live in Las Vegas and we are a binational gay couple.He is an american citizen and i am out of status since 2007. Now that DOMA was struck down by the Supreme Court what options do we have so he can sponsor me to get my status fixed. We don't know how to start and where to go as a first step.

Congratulations! Apply using for I-130 and an I-485 packet. Talk with your local USCIS office.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Thank you for the response...It helps a lot...

Mr. Shusterman is correct: I-130, I-485 and LOTS MORE.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Thank you for the response..

Hello:

Assuming that the marriage is legal, then the marriage petition for same-sex couples would be able to be filed. There are still procedural matters USCIS are putting into effect.

We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100% Immigration Law, have done nearly 5000 cases and can help you. Should you want an in depth consultation, please schedule one at blerner.checkappointments.com or call 562-495-0554 or e-mail me directly at blerner@californiaimmigration.us

We got married in Iowa. Thank you for the response..

Brian David Lerner

Brian David Lerner

Therefore, assuming it is legal, the petition can proceed forward.

Yes you will be able to apply for your future spouse when you get married. Please get a lawyer to assist you with this process. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact this office. Good luck!

Thank you for the response. We got married in Iowa more than a year ago. We will get a lawyer and again thank you...

Inara Khashmati

Inara Khashmati

You are welcome feel free to contact this office if you need assistance with this process

In your question, you said "partner" not spouse. The first thing to do is go get married in a state where it is legal for same-sex couples to get married. Then you need to file the immigration forms. there are step by step instruction of what forms and what to file here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

If you become overwhelmed, hire an attorney to do the paperwork for you.

Thanks for the response and the link. We got married in Iowa a year and a half ago...

Boris A. Avramski

Boris A. Avramski

Great! Then just follow the step-by-step instructions on the website.