What if your not sure your a beneficiary of the CD's that are transferable on death, do I still contact the bank?

Cleveland, OH |

When someone is a beneficiary of CD's, & they are transferable upon death when is the person notified & how long does it take to find out, that you were the recipient (my original question)

Unless you notify the financial institution of the decedent's death, it will not take any action to locate the beneficiary, so you need to be proactive or you will wait a long time. If you are not the beneficiary, it will not release any information to you, so then you'll know.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

I believe you have already asked this question. There is no disadvantage to asking the bank. If you are not the beneficiary, they will not give you any information. If you ARE the beneficiary, then they will give you instructions on claiming the CD.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics