What if you have never had a DWI and you get two within a 3 month time frame? Both DWI's are in two different counties.

Dallas, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My court dates are two weeks apart. Will they know about the other DWI pending in another county?

1. Most likely they will find out about it when they prepare the prosecution package that the DA's investigator prepares. They will both be filed as "DWI 1st" since there was not a conviction on the first one. But they may "treat" terms and conditions of probation a little differently because of the frequency of arrests. (Assuming you get probation.) You really need a good DWI attorney to assist you.

Good Luck

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.

2. Yes. You may qualify for a DWI court in one county, which results in a dismissal of one of the cases. It is often difficult to get two counties to work together, but it MAY be possible. DWI courts are a LOT of work, so discuss this carefully with your attorney before making this decision. Obviously you need an attorney experienced handling DWIs in each county (and sometimes this means two separate attorneys if the counties are far apart). It may be that one or both of the cases are winnable--but your attorney will have to review the State's evidence in each case before being able to advise you.

I once had a client with four DWI 1sts pending: one was dismissed, one was a not guilty at trial, so he only ended up pleading to two. In other words, don't assume that you have to take convictions on these cases. An experienced DWI attorney will know what to look for to try to beat them.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an attorney who practices criminal law in your jurisdiction for the most accurate legal advice.

3. Hire an attorney to coordinate. I've kept plenty of clients out of jail with stuff like this.

I am licensed attorney who focuses on Serious DUI Cases such a 2nd DUIs, 3rd DUIs, 4th DUIs, and Felony DUIs and DMV hearings. I also have much experience handling car accident cases. Although the information I provide is helpful, it is not legal advice. Although Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, some attorneys prefer to add their own disclaimers to answers. You can set your custom disclaimer here and it will be automatically added to your answers. Do NOT include any direct solicitations or contact information.

4. You need to hire a lawyer asap. You need to act quick on DWIs because time is of the essence in many respects / defenses. Most likely the other county will know about your other DWI because they have access to your TCIC / NCIC (your Texas and National record). Sometimes investigators only run a person's record one time for misdemeanors and maybe you get lucky with your cases being so close together, BUT I highly doubt it. Hire a good local lawyer asap. Good luck

I am a former State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense cases. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails, is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.