WHAT IF YOU GET "MARRIED" IN A COMMON LAW STATE IS IT RECOGNIZED IN STATES THAT DO NOT RECOGNIZE THAT

Webster, MA |

NO EXTRA

1. I can't speak for every state, but in Massachusetts specifically: Assuming that the marriage was validly entered into in the jurisdiction where it took place then Massachusetts will give that marriage full faith and credit and recognize it as a legal marriage.

Douglas Lloyd is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Answers provided on Avvo are intended for informational purposes only; they are not intended as legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship. The material is presented with the understanding and agreement that I am not engaged in rendering legal or other professional services by posting it.

2. The traditional rule is that a marriage validly commenced in one state is recognized as valid in all other states as a matter of comity. The present day reality of some states recognizing as valid a same-sex marriage has where other states have passed laws refusing to recognize such marriages has made the traditional less universal and absolute. A marriage commenced at "common law" is as valid as a ceremonial marriage if commenced in one of the few states that still recognize non-ceremonial marriage and the requirements of that state are met.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

3. It is not clear if you entered into a marriage ceremony, or if you are referencing a common law marriage recognized by another state. You will need to produce a valid marriage certificate to have the marriage recognized in MA.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.