What if you dont have money to file for divorce or can not afford a lawyer?

Asked over 5 years ago - Round Rock, TX

I want to file for divorce and have no money to do so and my husband does not want to pay child support. I have been a stay at home mom and my husband has cheated on me.I just spoke with the other women today and she was nice enough to tell me things they have been doing together. I'm so confused on how to start the process because I can not afford a lawyer.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Donald Edward Teller Jr.


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I would contact both the Attorney General for the State of Texas and get in line for them to file for child support and also seek the local legal services agency to see if they will help you file for divorce. They may not due to a lack of funding or because it is not a domestic violence case (or at least you did not state that it was one). Both of these agencies are great resources but you will need to be patient and it may take awhile because you are not alone in wanting their services. However, the price is right (they are free!). One other possibility is using the local law library, and perhaps a local law clinic or legal line to see if you can do the case yourself. It is not easy and it may take awhile to learn how to do it but if you don't give up eventually you may be able to get it done. Also, if you search around sometimes churches or bar associations sponsor clinics on how to do a simple divorce. I hope this information helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,013 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,013 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering