What if you cant afford a lawyer?

Ashland, KY |

son cant afford a lawyer for DUI,what can happen

1. He should ask the court to appoint an attorney. If he cannot afford an attorney, the court must supply a public defender.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

2. If you son cannot afford a private attorney, have him ask the judge at the next court appearance to appoint him a public defender/public advocate to represent him. If he is indigent, the court will appoint him an attorney at no expense. Good luck.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

3. Mr. Mascagni is correct. When charged with a crime, you are entitled to have the court appoint the Department of Public Advocacy to represent if you cannot afford to hire an attorney. DUI cases usually have numerous technical issues to be considered so do not go without an attorney. Good luck!

The answer provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered a substitute for retaining an attorney who can investigate and analyze all the material facts of your situation.

Civil rights topics