What if we don't feel comfortable providing our social security numbers to the trustee;

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

but, there will be 1041 to come, and the rest? Lots of things are yet to be cleared. What's the penalty for us beneficiary if we hesitate to provide.

Thanks. There are some complication like 2nd priority trustee "serves" with current trustee as a "teammate". So, for the time being, can not remove the trustee.

If I provide my social to the accountant, would trustee eventually can see it on some paper even accountant won't tell him?

1. Christine James

Pro

6

Best Answer

Answered . You must provide your social security number as it is required to file the trust tax returns. If there is a legitimate reason you don't want the trustee to have it, offer to give it to the accountant.

2. Charles Adam Shultz

3

1

Answered . You are taxed on income distributed to you or all income distributed or not if all income is required to be distributed to you. You are taxed on that income and its reported to you on form 1041. The trustee signs the return and sees your K-1 so in the end the trustee will need and see you ssn.

Not, the trustee must keep your information private under both federal law and the probate code. If the trustee.

If you fail to provide the trustee your information, the trustee code refuse to make distribitions to you.

If there are substantial reasons to distrust the trustee you may have the basis to seek removal.. You really need to sit down with an attorney.

3. Gregory Paul Benton

2

1

Answered . The estate won't be distributed to you. Your social security number is needed and will be protected. The penalty isn't worth your fears.

4. John Noah Kitta

2

1

Answered . Without question you have to provide your social security number to the accountant. Does the trustee need to see the social security number, probably not. An attorney would have to review the trust itself, language concerning the charges and responsibilities of the trustee. Does he have a responsibility to personally verify the person you are by and through your social security number? Probably not. On these limited facts, the only firm direction received from competent legal counsel is that you need to give your social security number to the accountant and you could also request in writing that he or she will not provide the number to the trustee without your approval.