What if we don't feel comfortable providing our social security numbers to the trustee;

San Jose, CA |

but, there will be 1041 to come, and the rest? Lots of things are yet to be cleared. What's the penalty for us beneficiary if we hesitate to provide.

Thanks. There are some complication like 2nd priority trustee "serves" with current trustee as a "teammate". So, for the time being, can not remove the trustee. If I provide my social to the accountant, would trustee eventually can see it on some paper even accountant won't tell him?

You must provide your social security number as it is required to file the trust tax returns. If there is a legitimate reason you don't want the trustee to have it, offer to give it to the accountant.

2. You are taxed on income distributed to you or all income distributed or not if all income is required to be distributed to you. You are taxed on that income and its reported to you on form 1041. The trustee signs the return and sees your K-1 so in the end the trustee will need and see you ssn.

Not, the trustee must keep your information private under both federal law and the probate code. If the trustee.

If you fail to provide the trustee your information, the trustee code refuse to make distribitions to you.

If there are substantial reasons to distrust the trustee you may have the basis to seek removal.. You really need to sit down with an attorney.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

3. The estate won't be distributed to you. Your social security number is needed and will be protected. The penalty isn't worth your fears.

4. Without question you have to provide your social security number to the accountant. Does the trustee need to see the social security number, probably not. An attorney would have to review the trust itself, language concerning the charges and responsibilities of the trustee. Does he have a responsibility to personally verify the person you are by and through your social security number? Probably not. On these limited facts, the only firm direction received from competent legal counsel is that you need to give your social security number to the accountant and you could also request in writing that he or she will not provide the number to the trustee without your approval.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Wills and estates topics