What if unable to pay settlement in division of property?

My livihood is very modest, ss and 5,000 teacher retirement, 10,000 pension, if my wife gets 1/2 of this I can't survive on my ss alone. What if I fail to pay back pay for 3 years since divorce?

High Point, NC -

Attorney Answers (1)

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Framingham, MA

I am sorry that you are going throught his difficult time. If you cannot comply with your divorce agreement/judgement you should go back to the court and file a modificaiton before you are held in contempt. Most modifications are retroacitve to the date of filing so the sooner you try and change the agreement due to your inability to afford it, the better it will be. take care and I hope things work out.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.