Skip to main content

What if unable to pay settlement in division of property?

High Point, NC |

My livihood is very modest, ss and 5,000 teacher retirement, 10,000 pension, if my wife gets 1/2 of this I can't survive on my ss alone. What if I fail to pay back pay for 3 years since divorce?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I am sorry that you are going throught his difficult time. If you cannot comply with your divorce agreement/judgement you should go back to the court and file a modificaiton before you are held in contempt. Most modifications are retroacitve to the date of filing so the sooner you try and change the agreement due to your inability to afford it, the better it will be. take care and I hope things work out.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.



Can a "modification" be filed by defendant, or must he have an attorney to file. I have spent too much on 2 attorneys..1 for divorce, and 1 for division of properties.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer