What if there was more than one person involved in the same crime? If one person already went to court for that charge?

Tucson, AZ |

I know a person that got charged for a felony but there was more peolpe involved.

1. Arizona law allows the government to prosecute all individuals involved or only one of the individuals. A prosecution against one person does not require the government to prosecute anyone else and a conviction against one defendant can occur even if the other individuals have been found not guilty.

Now, say you are the person charged with a crime and you know others are involved but the government does not. You can use this to your advantage and try to work a "snitch" deal, but most reputable defense attorneys will not assist a client in snitching on other individuals.

Attorney David Kephart is an experienced Criminal Defense Trial Attorney and Jury Consultant. He is the recipient of the Arizona Attorneys for Criminal Justice President's Award and the recipient of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Commendation for Excellence in Trial Advocacy. His response to your question is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship, and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.

2. Prosecutors can decide who to charge after a review of the case facts

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.