What if the officer wrote the wrong infraction on the ticket he gave me? does that invalidate the ticket?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tacoma, WA

The police officer accused me of not wearing a seat belt, but on the ticket it stated texting while driving. My phone was no where near me in fact my nephew was in the back seat playing on it.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Vitaliy Kertchen


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The citation must properly cite the RCW/municipal code of the violation. If the officer's affidavit is not sufficient to prove cell phone use, then your ticket will be dismissed.

  2. Richard Louis Warner

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . That is a factual dispute which requires a fact finding (hearing) if you are contesting the citation. Contact a local criminal defense attorney who specializes in traffic offenses. Good luck.

  3. James D. Laukkonen


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Depending on circumstances, and on what the officer put in his or her report, you might have a defense. There are many good traffic ticket attorneys in your area who will likely offer a free consultation. Talk to a couple of them. Good luck!

Related Topics

Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Traffic tickets and seat belt laws

Under the seat belt law, you can get a ticket for wearing your seat belt wrongly or not at all, or for having children improperly restrained in the car.

Daniel Alexander Jimenez

Tickets and New Drivers in New York

Congratulations! You just received your driver's license. And now you have just received your first traffic ticket. Keep the following information in mind to minimize the damage.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,531 answers this week

3,406 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,531 answers this week

3,406 attorneys answering