Skip to main content

What if the executor does not file paperwork with probate court?

Marblehead, MA |

My sister died in 2011. She left a will, naming another relative as executor. She has not filed any paperwork regarding this estate in the local court system. She appears to be writing checks, selling assets etc. She refuses to discuss the matter. This seems sketchy to me and other concerned family members. I would guess the total (starting) value of the estate to be at least mid six figures. We are baffled.

Any suggestions on how we can get some transparency here?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    I agree that you need to contact an attorney to help you get to the bottom of this. The limited facts that you provide, however, suggests that your sister may have engaged in some "home-made" estate planning. The fact that her "executor" has been able to access the assets at all suggests that she was either a joint owner on the accounts or she was designated as the beneficiary. Otherwise, she would not be able to gain any access to the assets at all. It does not matter what the Will says, if the assets were all jointly held or designated someone as beneficiary, since a Will only applies to assets titled in the decedent's name alone.

    (Incidentally, she is not the executor unless an estate has been opened and she has been appointed as such, by the court). Otherwise, she is the "nominated executor," at best, and she would have no legal rights, in that position. Given that two years have passed, you should check the probate court records in the county where your sister resided at the time of death to determine if a probate estate has been opened. If one has not, I am very concerned that your sister's Will may never be given effect.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

  2. You would do well to speak with an experienced probate attorney. Normally, an inventory and account should be available at this point. There are some situations where "informal" dealings can occur, but generally not with amounts north of $10K. At that point, you are going to have to file paperwork with the court. An attorney could help encourage your relative to do what is required of her, or arrange for a replacement executrix/administrator to be appointed.

  3. Consult an attorney

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

  4. Hi

    You need to hire an experinced probate attorney as soon as possible to take legal action against the executor and to remove her as soon as possible. It appears that you have reason to be concerned. I have 40 years of experience doing this if you care to contact me. Good luck.

    Steve Coren

    This answer does not consitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the facts presented. This answer is basd only on Massachusetts law.

  5. You absolutely need to speak with an attorney.

    You can compel your relative to produce and file the will in Court. It is possible that your relative is simply disregarding the will and self-dealing with estate property. You should reach out to counsel immediately if you have some interest in the estate.

    Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts. All answers are based on generalized Massachusetts law and the limited facts presented by the questioner. All answers are provided to the general public for educational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question. If you would like an attorney with Vaughn-Martel Law to review your specific situation and provide you with legal options or information specific to you, you may schedule a telephone or office by calling 617-357-4898 or visiting us at Our office charges $100.00 for a consultation, and applies your consultation fee to your first bill if the Firm is hired to perform further work.

  6. It is possible that all property was joint. This a way people sometimes seek to avoid probate. Such an approach can be open to attack. It could be that your sister used a trust, and you are not a beneficiary. In that event you might have no effective recourse. Some clues may be available in the registry of deeds if you sister owned any real estate. Without knowing more, I would not comment on your likelihood of success. But it you do want to go to court, go and see an attorney experienced in probate litigation, and see what he or she thinks of your facts.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics