What if someone does not get a speedy trial ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Watertown, NY

my friend never got a speedy trial on a stalking charge and was shoved from court to court for 2 year with an order of protection and then found out the person that had the stalking charge and order of protection on her lied and the charges were dropped and then a few months later got arrested again for stalking by communication and when the 5th judicial district told her to get a hold of the mayor and trustees about this person that has this stalking charge and an order of protection and this person that's accusing her sits on a municipality they arrested her again last year their avoiding a trial and postponing it cause they don't want to get sued

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

6

Answered . Contact a local criminal defense lawyer.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

Answered . If the case was dismissed speedy trial is not an issue. Call a criminal defense and civil rights lawyer.

3. Latrice Vinell Campbell

6

Answered . The facts are kind of confusing as you presented them. You or your friend should contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to discuss this matter.

4. Richard Ware Levitt

Pro

5

Answered . If the original charge was dismissed, it's over and recharging her with the same conduct would violate double jeopardy. If the new charges are based on new conduct, however, then your friend has a new case that must be addressed and she needs a lawyer.