Skip to main content

What if Parent applied for visa when they (parent ) Green Card Holder and child was unmarried ,

Los Angeles, CA |

what If parent were green card holder and son were unmarried when petition was filed, Now parent-/petitioner is US citizen and son is married .. can Petition be change status or has to file new one ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


timing is very important in this situation. please provide for an accurate answer.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


If the child married before the parent became a U.S. citizen, then the parent must refile. If the child was still single when the parent became a U.S. citizen, then you should notify USCIS of both the marriage and the naturalization and the F2B should automatically convert to F3. Be careful you do not miss your 1 year window to file for a green card. Be sure that Petitioner files an AR-11 change of address every time she/he moves.

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.


Depends on whether the marriage occurred before the parent naturalized or after.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.



Marriage Occurred before the parent's naturalization. I would also like to come and to see my option in this case.possible ?

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer