What if one spouse refuses to sign a living trust that is drawn up by an attorney and 50-50 so it's fair.

Asked over 1 year ago - Walnut Creek, CA

Father (79) step mom (80) disagree about estate planning. He wanted 1/4 to go to each child. Step mother has a son, my father had three kids (one died) so two are left. I plan to help my Dad find an attorney and gather his information, but I am concerned that we will find my step mom unwilling to sign even if we abide by the law (50/50) split of assets.
What can be done if she refuses to sign? Even if it's fair? Thank you

1. Michael Austin Hackard

Pro

8

Answered . Your father can engage an attorney for his own estate plan. He has testamentary control over one-half of his community property assets and 100% over his separate property assets. A local estate planning attorney can explain this to you and your father.

2. James P. Frederick

3

Answered . I agree with Attorney Hackard. No matter how "fair" a document is, you cannot force someone to sign an estate plan. There is nothing else you can do, if she refuses. Your father can sign with regard to his assets and if he survives his wife, then his estate plan would control.

James Frederick

3. Sean Patrick Lewis

1

Answered . Each person can dictate their own terms, actually. what is "fair" to you might not seem "fair" to the other person.

If both go to an estate planning attorney, a single document can be made to accomplish the wishes of both parties.

Since they disagree, it might be that both have to create individual and different plans. consult a decent estate planning attorney to make sure what to do next.

4. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

2

Answered . It is very clear that your father, first and foremost, needs his own lawyer. He should not only have his own Will and Revocable Living Trust, but it is vital that he reviews his beneficiary designations to insure that the proper beneficiaries are stated for insurance policies, retirement accounts, etc. Good luck to you.