What if my husband gave me a STD

Rossville, GA |

I am married to a man and he claims hes never cheated on me and etc about 2 months ago some spots popped up on his private area and so we took him to the doctor and they said he has genital warts and he can never get rid of that. So therefore as his wife i'm going to go to the doctor too and if i have it what can be done to him because of him giving this to me?

If he gave you the STD you can divorce him. Ask your doctor all about the STD and transmission from third parties. You need to get to the doctor NOW. He may have given you other STDs that you do not even know you have. Not all STDs have symptoms and some can cause cancer like HPV. This is nothing to take lightly. If he is giving you STDs it sound like you are married to a person who has committed adultery and has no concern for your health or feelings. Go consult a local divorce attorney.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

2. I believe this is more a relationship question than a legal question because you undoubtedly can obtain a divorce based on these facts - and for irreconcilable differences, etc. (no-fault). Long term health care may be something you'd need to negotiate as part of the separation terms. Good luck.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-668-3790 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at don@HawbakerLaw.) An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated my Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

3. Nothing at all, unless you choose to divorce him and seek money or care as part of the divorce.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

4. You might also have a case for negligence or battery. There have been other reported cases in other states where one spouse sued the other one for this exact claim. You should consider all of your legal claims, including divorce.

This is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and none is to be implied either. You must contact an attorney and present all facts before you can and should act on this response

5. Practical issue: Only he knows for sure whether he cheated, but I suggest that you thoroughly research the nature of this ailment before you come to any final conclusions. I couldn't tell you the stats, but these viruses can remain dormant for years and appear later. Legal issue: Aside from that, you MAY have a claim against your husband if you could show he was in fact having an affair and was reckless or negligent and you did in fact contract a virus or suffered some other harm. I'm sorry for your situation and I wish you the best of luck as you try to resolve it.