What if my husband gave me a STD

Asked over 1 year ago - Rossville, GA

I am married to a man and he claims hes never cheated on me and etc about 2 months ago some spots popped up on his private area and so we took him to the doctor and they said he has genital warts and he can never get rid of that. So therefore as his wife i'm going to go to the doctor too and if i have it what can be done to him because of him giving this to me?

1. Donald F. Hawbaker

Pro

1

1

Answered . I believe this is more a relationship question than a legal question because you undoubtedly can obtain a divorce based on these facts - and for irreconcilable differences, etc. (no-fault). Long term health care may be something you'd need to negotiate as part of the separation terms. Good luck.

2. David Jason Merbaum

1

1

Answered . You might also have a case for negligence or battery. There have been other reported cases in other states where one spouse sued the other one for this exact claim. You should consider all of your legal claims, including divorce.

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . If he gave you the STD you can divorce him. Ask your doctor all about the STD and transmission from third parties. You need to get to the doctor NOW. He may have given you other STDs that you do not even know you have. Not all STDs have symptoms and some can cause cancer like HPV. This is nothing to take lightly. If he is giving you STDs it sound like you are married to a person who has committed adultery and has no concern for your health or feelings. Go consult a local divorce attorney.

4. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . Nothing at all, unless you choose to divorce him and seek money or care as part of the divorce.

5. Jean O'Neil Supnick

Answered . Practical issue: Only he knows for sure whether he cheated, but I suggest that you thoroughly research the nature of this ailment before you come to any final conclusions. I couldn't tell you the stats, but these viruses can remain dormant for years and appear later. Legal issue: Aside from that, you MAY have a claim against your husband if you could show he was in fact having an affair and was reckless or negligent and you did in fact contract a virus or suffered some other harm. I'm sorry for your situation and I wish you the best of luck as you try to resolve it.