Skip to main content

What if my court appointed attorney doesn't return my calls?

San Antonio, TX |

I have trial in 4 days. I cannot get my court appointed attny. to return any of my phone calls. I am very nervous~ What can I do? He hasn't had any contact with me to know my case, to tell me what to expect and so on. It's a criminal case.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Document each time you call (or look at your phone records to see when you called). Hopefully, you didn't just wait until the last minute to start caring about your case. But if you really have been trying to get in touch with them and you don't feel prepared, don't go forward with your trial. Be sure to tell the Judge that you do not feel the attorney is prepared, that you haven't met with them, that you don't know what the trial strategy is and you haven't even discussed it, tell them the dates and times of your calls, etc. Ask the judge for a continuance (and perhaps another attorney, but that might not happen).

If it is a public defender's office, ask for their supervisor and complain to them.

Legal disclaimer: Brian Tevis is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state-specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.


I agree with my colleague. Act now. Go down to the PD office an d demand to see the head PD. Tell him the deal. The Judge may not grant an adjournment.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer